- Full-time, non-exempt (hourly) position
- Reports to the Community Impact Director
- Salary $20-22/hour, commensurate with background and experience
- Position is based in Lassen County. Company does not pay relocation costs
- Grant-funded position for at least one year; continuation based on renewal of funding support
The Mission and Opportunity
United Way of Northern California (UWNC), based in Redding, fights for the health, education, and financial stability of all residents in its nine-county territory. UWNC aims to expand operations fully throughout the region, providing residents access to its programs, and to as many resources necessary to promote safety, health and prosperity. Services include, but are not limited to, kinship foster navigation; financial literacy; retirement savings, health care enrollments, and crisis information and referrals.
The Program Specialist – Lassen County will support regional outreach and expansion efforts for the 2-1-1 NorCal Program and Community Impact Programs; assist in the implementation of Disaster 2-1-1 services in counties currently unserved by 2-1-1; and promote UWNC Community Impact programs throughout the North State region, including specific focus enrolling clients into Medi-Cal and Covered California insurance programs. The Specialist will collaborate with community-based organizations, government agencies and the business community to provide outreach and education promoting Community Impact programs. The Specialist will recruit volunteers that will assist United Way in its outreach and education efforts. This role requires a customer service orientation; high degree of professionalism; ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and ability to respond proactively to changing priorities.
Principal Job Responsibilities
- Identify potential clients in need of health care insurance
- Facilitate client enrollment into health insurance programs; assist clients as they move through the enrollment process; take steps to encourage retention of clients. Assist in ensuring that UWNC meets grant expectations for enrollment
- Increase awareness and knowledge of United Way of Northern California and its programs throughout the Lassen County community through outreach activities, including events and presentations
- Create and maintain relationships with partners including non-profit organizations and key public and private sector agencies, including participation on community-based committees and collaboratives
- Support and promote the development of the 2-1-1 system in Lassen County. This includes reaching out to relevant agencies to encourage their involvement in 2-1-1 and obtain information that can be included in the 2-1-1 resource database
- Support Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) activities in Lassen County as needed
- Assist in disaster relief and recovery activities as needed. This can include activities related to wildfire relief, COVID and other public emergencies
- Other duties as assigned
Preferred Skills and Attributes
- Flexible and adaptable
- Personable; works well in a team environment
- Excellent customer service skills
- Adept at multi-tasking
- Comfortable interacting with individuals from diverse backgrounds and varying socio-economic circumstances
- Strong skills in communication and documentation over the phone and computer
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Experienced in public engagement
- Minimum AA degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum two years of experience in the non-profit or social services fields
- Customer service experience desirable
- Experience in professional and public interactions with a wide variety of diverse populations
- Experience in public speaking, presentations and community engagement
- Demonstrated computer abilities. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint; webpage and social media background a plus
- Bilingual / multilingual a plus
- Must possess valid driver license and reliable, insured transportation
- Must be able to work comfortably on a keyboard through an eight-hour shift
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 15 pounds
Send resume to :
Theresa McCausland email@example.com
This position may involve occasional night and weekend shifts and will require travel within Lassen County and at times to neighboring counties. Occasional travel to other cities in California may be required.
United Way of Northern California offers medical, dental and health benefits; paid vacation andsick time; 11 paid holidays per year; company-paid life insurance, CalSavers Retirement SavingsProgram and an Employee Assistance Program.
UWNC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Employment at UWNC is contingent on submission to background checks, including criminal andDMV checks.
nt-funded position for at least one year; continuation based on renewal of funding support