Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Applications are available at all Tribal Offices or on the Internet at www.karuk.us The Karuk
Tribe’s (TERO) Preference and Drug & Alcohol Policy apply. If selected applicants must successfully pass a drug screening test and be willing to submit to a criminal background check.
Job descriptions are available online at: www.karuk.us or by contacting the Human Resources
Department, Telephone (530) 493-1600 ext. 2041, Fax: (855) 437-7888
Title: PT Sales Clerk
Reports To: Amkuuf Shop Manager
Location: Amkuuf Shop, Yreka
Salary: $ 15- $ 17.00 per hour
Classification: Part-Time, (16/hrs. minimum per week) Non-Exempt, Entry Level
Summary: The Sales Clerk will facilitate retail sales at the Amkuuf Shop and shall operate the cash register, receive payments, prepare daily sales slips and shift close out, and interact with customers in a friendly and courteous manner.
1. Shall be responsible for store sales and perform merchandising duties such as stocking shelves, installing or changing displays, maintaining a clean and uncluttered work area.
2. Shall provide tobacco cessation information to customers in collaboration with the Amkuuf Shop Manager and other Karuk Community Development Corporation (KCDC) staff.
3. Shall operate the cash register, receive payments, prepare daily sales slips, and perform shift close out in accordance with Amkuuf Shop policies and procedures.
4. Shall be available for local and out of the area travel as required for job related training. Shall attend all required meetings and functions as requested.
5. Shall be aware of your surroundings and strictly adhere to all safety policies and procedures at all times.
6. Shall be polite and maintain a priority system in accepting other position related job duties as assigned.
1. Cultural Competency: Ability to work effectively with Native American people in culturally diverse environments and have some knowledge of the Karuk culture.
2. Professionalism: Is aware of the potential impact of own attitudes and behaviors and makes appropriate adjustments to assure that communication with customers, co-workers, and other staff is purposeful and appropriate. Demonstrates respect, honesty, integrity, and fairness to all. Follows policies and procedures, and is courteous to customers and staff.
3. Teamwork: Strives to be “solution-focused” and presents challenges with recommendations for solutions that best meet the needs of the Amkuuf Shop, customers, coworkers, and the KCDC.
Maintains constructive team relationships, coordinates effective goals and identifies/plans ways to successfully work together. Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability to change.
4. Program Support: Supports, cooperates and assists to meet the goals of all components of the KCDC and the Amkuuf Shop. Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship with co-workers and KCDC staff.
5. Professional Development: Participates in ongoing professional development including training and meetings as determined by the Amkuuf Shop Manager and the KCDC ED.
1. High School Diploma, GED, or two years’ successful work experience.
2. Knowledge of general retail sales systems, and ability to utilize tools of the retail sales trade including a cash register, credit card reader, and computer is preferred.
3. Must be able to accurately count change, add and subtract small numbers, and follow oral and written instructions.
4. Willingness to work non-traditional hours including evenings and weekends as needed.
5. Must be reliable, honest, and comfortable handling and counting money.
6. Ability to stand and walk for extended periods; stoop, kneel, and crouch to safely pick up or move boxes and stock shelves; physical ability to lift and carry objects ranging from 10-25 pounds safely and without assistance.
7. Must successfully pass a drug screening test and criminal background check.
Tribal Preference Policy: In accordance with the TERO Ordinance 93-0-01, Tribal Preference will be
observed in hiring.
Veteran’s Preference: It shall be the policy of the Karuk Tribe to provide preference in hiring to qualified
applicants claiming Veteran’s Preference who have been discharged from the United States Armed Forces with honorable and under honorable conditions.