The City of Corning
Under general supervision, performs unskilled and semi-skilled landscape and maintenance, repair and construction work on streets, sewers, parks and other public works facilities; performs a variety of semi-skilled and heavy physical labor. This is a part-time entry level position for the Public Works Department. Successful applicant will be provided training in the more difficult and specialized maintenance and construction assignments; learn basic equipment operation skills; and perform other job related work as required and assigned.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Landscape and maintenance at various City properties including, but not limited to mowing, pruning, lawn fertilization and sprinkler maintenance.
- May assist with the installation, maintenance and repair of storm drains and streets.
- Assist with pavement striping and the installation and repair of street signs.
- Perform weed abatement work; concrete finishing work; maintain and repair buildings, facilities, playgrounds, and benches in recreation areas.
- Perform a variety of semi-skilled and heavy physical labor.
- May be assigned to assist with equipment repair, equipment maintenance, or respond to emergency repair calls.
- Installs barricades and warning signs and provides traffic control to ensure safety at work sites; places hazardous conditions signs along roadways as necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS & DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Possess a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of application deadline.
- Be a US citizen or a permanent resident alien who is eligible and applied for US citizenship.
- Possess a Valid California Drivers License and have a satisfactory driving record.
- Be “Drug Free.”
- Basic knowledge of tools and equipment.
- Public Works landscape and maintenance work.
- Safe work practices.
- Perform heavy physical labor requiring strength, dexterity, and agility.
- Use tools and equipment.
- Learn the operation of a variety of motorized equipment.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
Training and Experience:
- Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Work experience in custodial, groundskeeping or heavy physical labor work is highly desirable.
COMPETITIVE SELECTION PROCESS, APPLICATION REVIEW BOARD
All applicants must submit a complete City of Corning application with clear, concise and complete information regarding their qualifications for the position. You may attach a resume. Candidates whose qualifications best meet the City’s requirements will be invited to participate in the next phase.
This interview will evaluate your training, experience and personal qualifications.
Selected applicant must successfully pass a medical exam, drug screening and Live Scan prior to employment.
Salary: $19.01 – $23.34 per hour
Hours: Maximum of 20 hours per week
Benefits: 24 hours of Sick Leave per year.
Applications may be obtained in person from the Personnel Department of the City of Corning, 794 Third St, Corning, CA 96021, or by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to the above address. You may also obtain an application on our website at www.corning.org. Faxed or emailed applications are not accepted. Any questions, call (530) 824-7029.Minimum Education and Experience