Job Title: QA Manager of Metrology
Reports to: General Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Last Updated: July 30th, 2022
Manages the activities of Quality Assurance personnel to ensure department and company QA goals are achieved through continuous improvement of people, equipment, materials, processes, and manufacturing practices. Has authority for personnel actions and oversees day-to-day operations of group. Knowledgeable and proficient with all QA concepts, practices, and procedures; relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Exercise of judgment, discretion, and tact in all business matters and business relationships is required. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain clear and cooperative working relationships with co-workers and demonstrate regular attendance and punctuality are essential. The organization’s leadership promotes collaborative problem solving in both formal and informal work teams. Participation in and contribution to teamwork within the organization is required. Necessary interpersonal skills include being a self-starter, motivated, creative, flexible, self-confident, deadline oriented and able to multi-task. Employees must follow all quality and safety procedures of the company, including those at customer sites if applicable, and must abide by the corporate Code of Conduct in all situations.
- Hires, trains, and supervises QA personnel assigned as direct reports on approved QA procedures.
- Coaches employees for improved performance; issues disciplinary, corrective action as warranted; and Conducts performance reviews on a timely basis.
- Helps to develop and maintain QA, Key Performance Measures, and Indices.
- Perform and document processes in the inspection of chambers and vacuum components to increase QA throughput and efficiency through implementing process, equipment, fixture, and layout improvements.
- Takes ownership of high visibility projects, opportunities, and corrective actions to ensure customers’ needs are met.
- Processes DMRs and RMAs and identifies root causes and corrective actions.
- Assists in providing solutions to QA and manufacturing processes through established processes. Recommends new QA and manufacturing processes, or improvements to current ones.
- Supports process improvements to improve QA standards and costs.
- Coordinates with Manufacturing, Engineering, Planning, Materials, Sales and Estimating to support process, manufacturability, and QA improvements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Tasks require walking, sitting, bending, reaching, mobility, frequent lifting and pushing/pulling. Work requires computer skills (word processing, spreadsheet, and data-entry), attention to detail and accuracy. Communication skills including listening and speaking are required for interaction with other employees, vendors, and customers. Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to balance multiple tasks and any stress associated with the duties and responsibilities of this position are essential requirements in the performance of this job.
The person in this job must be able to travel by air and drive to company locations. Accordingly, a valid driver’s license and driving record that is satisfactory to the Company must be demonstrated at hire and periodically thereafter.
Nor-Ca Products by Pfeiffer Vacuum believes that we are all suppliers and customers of someone in our organization. Our employees must be able to demonstrate this customer-centric belief – which means that you are value-adding, reliable, performance-driven, innovative, service-minded, and agile – in all of their business activities. We expect that our company values of open mindedness, trust, communication, thinking strategically/being creative, being courageous, accountable, and humble, ethical sensitivity/compliance, resilience/facing diversity and fostering a culture of empowerment, engagement and collaboration will drive the actions of our employees.
- Must be familiar with state-of-the-art manufacturing methodologies as they pertain to stainless steel, high-vacuum chambers, and components.
- Must have strong organizational and time-management skills to prioritize and complete competing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with coworkers, suppliers, customers, and other departmental personnel in a professional and positive manner.
- Prepare internal and external written correspondence; effectively communicate verbally.
- Technical writing skills to include the preparation of engineering test protocols, engineering test reports, and manufacturing Standard Operating Procedures. Familiar with engineering documentation processes.
- Requires strong ability to work with others in the department to share specific knowledge of products, processes, and/or procedures to continuously make improvements.
Education and/or Experience
- Any combination of education and training, equivalent to graduation from an accredited college/university with a BS degree in Business, Engineering, or other program that would provide required knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the job.
- Minimum of 48-months general QA leadership experience in a manufacturing, environment, with at least 24-months specific experience in precision metals fabrication and machining.
- Exercises high-level of discretionary judgment on a regular basis. Basic hands-on machining, welding or other skilled knowledge preferred.
The ability to communicate in English verbally and in writing is essential. Reports, email correspondence, schedules, are all typical requirements of this position and must be effectively and professionally communicated.
-Excellent math skills required.
Must be able to multitask and operate in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a disciplined approach to oversee employer and customers’ needs. Works on assignments that are analytical by nature. Must be able to solve both practical and complex problems and deal with a variety of factors.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
-Valid driver’s license is required.
This position may work in various environments including office, factory or home settings. Employees who choose to work from home are expected to comply with all company requirements for core work hours or in-person attendance at company meetings or events. (as applicable)
75% inside, climate / noise-controlled office/lab, and 25% high noise level machine shop environment; lifting to 50 lbs. on occasion. Eye, hearing, and Cleanroom protection may be required. Training in safety related SOPs.
Nor-Cal Products by Pfeiffer Vacuum is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.Minimum Education and Experience