POSITION SUMMARY: The Ranch Worker will perform a variety of work involving general ranching practices including caring for animals, constructing and maintaining fence, irrigation, and equipment maintenance. This position focuses on irrigation as a priority essential responsibility.
Job Type: Full-time
Wage Rate: From $17.00 per hour, and can include employer provided housing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Feeds and waters the animals.
- Assists in gathering, shipping, branding and the processing of cattle.
- Grooms and provides care for horses.
- Constructs and repairs fences, gates, water developments, and corrals.
- Maintains ranch landscaping.
- Operates small and large tractors (60-240hp) and various implements including disk, mower, and scraper box.
- Mixes and applies fertilizers and chemicals.
- Maintains equipment and vehicles in safe operating condition.
- Transports equipment as required using trucks and trailers.
- Performs routine maintenance on ranch equipment and machinery.
- Attends regular pesticide and safety trainings.
- In partnership with the Ranch Manager, ensures proper irrigation of the Tribe’s pastures.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Requires knowledge and understanding of the procedures, methods and techniques of general ranching and irrigation practices.
- Requires knowledge of cattle, horses and basic range management.
- Must be able to ride horses and rope cattle efficiently.
- Understands cattle behavior and is able to detect sickness/illness/injuries in livestock.
- Must understand the basic procedures used in the proper application of fertilizers and pesticides.
- Must have sufficient communication skills to interact with co-workers.
- Must be able to operate and maintain tools, equipment vehicles.
- Must be able to calculate seed, fertilizer and chemical application amounts and apply them in a safe manner.
- Requires the ability to follow written and/or verbal instructions.
This job has no staff supervisory responsibilities.
Education and Experience
High School or GED equivalent required. Must have at least three years of experience in general ranching operations or other agriculture related field.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Individuals must be able to successfully pass the Tribal Gaming Agency (TGA) Background Check. Must possess a valid driver’s license and maintain a driving record that is satisfactory to the Tribe’s insurance carrier.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear and stand for long periods of time. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Must have sufficient hand-eye coordination, hand and finger dexterity, including the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to operate equipment and read technical and safety information. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision, close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations. Ability to perform duties both outside and inside in varying conditions including extreme heat, extreme cold and wet and/or humid, etc. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Must work with cleaning chemicals, and must be able to properly dilute, use and ensure safety to all that come in contact with chemicals.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and may be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and livestock biomass elements. The work environment includes regularly work near moving mechanical parts, precarious places and vibration.
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Alturas, CA: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Irrigation: 1 year (Preferred)
- ranching: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
To Apply: Please contact Ariana Carabez for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the following link to apply https://www.indeed.com/job/ranch-worker-alturas-ca.Minimum Education and Experience