Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency
Application Deadline: September 24, 2021 at 5PM
RC I: $17.56 – $21.38 Hourly / $1,404.80 – $1,710.40 Biweekly
RC II: $18.90 – $23.02 Hourly / $1,512.00 – $1,841.60 Biweekly
Annual salary step increases (A-E) based upon satisfactory performance and completion of one (1) year and 2,080 hours.
Organizes and participates in periodic recycling, hazardous waste and other special events, monitors and generates reports on solid waste programs. Organizes and participates in solid waste programs designed to increase diversion of solid waste. Provides administrative service at the Tehama County Landfill in support of the Solid Waste Department and the Joint Powers Authority (JPA).
Advancement Opportunity: A Recycling Coordinator I may advance to the higher-level class after gaining the knowledge, skills, and experience that meet the qualifications for and by demonstrating the ability to perform the work of the higher-level class.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Develops and coordinates community awareness programs; initiates contact and works with citizens, businesses and public entities to increase waste reduction, recycling, and proper use and disposal of household hazardous waste.
- Assists local jurisdictions with solid waste issues as needed.
- Maintains files of waste sampling, recycling and other diversion program information.
- Prepares reports and correspondence; researches and analyzes technical information for projects; makes oral and written recommendations to site staff or other county officials.
- Assists with the preparation of County and/or JPA agendas.
- Maintains the Tehama County Landfill web site.
- Prepares grant/loan applications and subsequent reporting for awarded grants.
- Prepares a variety of letters, correspondence, fiscal or statistical reports.
- Recycling Coordinator II:
- Receives and responds to inquiries, requests for assistance and complaints regarding solid waste and recycling programs. Investigates complaints and proposes a corrective action.
- Provides lead direction and training to subordinate employees.
- Federal and State laws, rules and regulations relating to solid waste management programs including the California Integrated Waste Management Act of 1989
- Principles and practices of public information and education programs
- Waste audits, waste characterization studies, and methods to reduce and recycle solid waste
- General knowledge of waste collection separation, transportation, recycling, and disposal operations
- Techniques for dealing effectively with and providing a high level of customer service to all individuals contacted in the course of work.
- Interact effectively with staff, the public, industry professionals, local officials, and regulators
- Plan and carry out a project independently, working within a defined budget
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities and meet critical time deadlines
- Operate modern office equipment and specialized software applications programs
- Assemble and analyze information and prepare written reports and records in a clear and concise manner
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate’s Degree with major coursework in the physical sciences, environmental management, public health, public administration or other related field.
- Recycling Coordinator I: One (1) year of experience in developing, promoting or coordinating a public education program, preferably for a solid waste management program(s).
- Recycling Coordinator II: Three (3) years of experience in developing, promoting or coordinating public education programs with at least one (1) of that being in a solid waste management program(s).
- Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
LICENSE & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Requires a valid California driver’s license;
- Requires 24 hour HAZWOPER training within six (6) months of employment.
For questions about this recruitment contact:
530-528-1103 | RRoss@co.tehama.ca.us