As a member of the health care team, the Registered Dental Assistant, under general and direct supervision, assists dental professionals with standard procedures to provide patient care and instruction and assists the dentist during the examination and treatment of patients by performing those tasks allowed under Title 16 of the California Administrative Code, Section 1085.
- Prepares patient, sterilizes and disinfects instruments, sets up instrument trays, prepares materials, and assists dentist during dental procedures.
- Takes and records medical and dental histories and vital signs of patient.
- Takes digital dental diagnostic x-rays.
- Makes preliminary impressions for study casts and occlusal registrations for mounting study casts.
- Pours, trims and polishes study casts, fabricates custom impression trays for preliminary impressions, cleans and polishes removable appliances and fabricates temporary restorations.
- Assists dentist in management of medical and dental emergencies.
- Instructs patients in oral hygiene and plaque control programs.
- Provides postoperative instructions prescribed by dentist.
- Records treatment information in patient records.
- Cleans and prepares dental operatories between patients following OSHA guidelines for infection control.
- Maintain inventory par levels and restock operatories and other dental rooms as needed.
- Provides preventative dental education to clinic patients and community groups under direction and supervision of dentist.
- Ability to perform standard and radiographic methods, exposes, processes, and mounts diagnostic digital radiographs.
- Knowledge of patient scheduling procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality in all matters.
- Maintenance and testing of equipment.
- Provides reception relief as needed including scheduling appointments, assisting in the completion of insurance forms and maintenance of clerical records for the dental department.
- Participate in continuing education in order to provide the highest quality of care to the patient population and to maintain a current and active license to practice.
- Provides other allied duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Assist other staff members in development and maintenance of department goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Participate in on-going quality improvement monitoring and activities.
- Attend all trainings, meetings and conferences as required.
- Learn and implement electronic health records functions as they continue to evolve.
- Assist with a variety of duties in order to meet the needs of the department on an as needed basis.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Current California Registered Dental Assistant License.
- One (1) year experience as an RDA in general dentistry.
- Graduate of an accredited Registered Dental Assistant program or documented evidence of proficiency in those tasks allowed by California law as determined by a dental provider.
- Possession of a current Coronal Polishing certification.
- Possession of a current Radiation Safety certification.
- Current CPR certification.