To execute duties and responsibilities of a Respiratory Care Practitioner in accordance with policies and procedures of the Respiratory Care Department. Evaluate patients and perform diagnostic tests and therapeutic procedures. Recommend optimal therapeutic regimens. Provide appropriate documentation of care according to department guidelines. Communicate effectively with other health care professionals.
- Read, evaluate, and take verbal orders from physicians.
- Read and evaluate physicians’ notes.
- Assess patients.
- Propose, evaluate, and implement treatment plans ordered by physicians.
- Select appropriate equipment.
- Modify modalities to deal with adverse patient responses.
- Document assessment, treatment, and response according to department protocol.
- Evaluate all therapy performed and recommend appropriate changes and modifications in therapeutic regimens.
- Performs tracheostomy care including replacing and changing tracheostomy tubes.
- Administer aerosolized pulmonary pharmacologic agents and monitor their effect.
- Perform spirometric pulmonary function testing.
- Instruct patients and family in the use of equipment and the nature of cardiopulmonary disease.
- Recognize and deal with pulmonary and cardiovascular emergencies.
- Meet department standards for continuing education.
- Maintain familiarity with current standards of practice in respiratory care.
- Initiate and maintain mechanical ventilation according to department protocol. Discontinue mechanical ventilation according to department protocol.
- Perform arterial puncture and arterial blood gases analysis according to department policy and as ordered by physicians.
- Perform electrocardiograms and cardiac stress testing as ordered by physicians including starting and discontinuing IV saline locks as ordered by physicians.
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and other acute respiratory care as needed.
- Provide all modes of respiratory care as ordered by physicians
- Maintain patient records and department records of therapy administered.
- Disinfect respiratory care equipment and, within ability, maintain department equipment in good operating condition.
- Know and follow all general and departmental safety, security, and health policies and procedures. Utilize all safe work practices for department.
- Attend and participate in in-service education classes and on-the-job training programs as directed or required.
- Maintain CONFIDENTIALITY of all pertinent patient care information to assure that patients’ rights are protected. No report or result will be discussed or disseminated to anyone but an authorized person
- Must keep all required licenses and certifications current.
- Complete annual employment health requirements in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor or the Administrator.
- Certified as a Respiratory Care Practitioner by the Respiratory Care Examining Committee of the State of California Board of Medical Quality Assurance.
Required Licenses and Certifications
- Respiratory Care Practitioner license issued by the Respiratory Care Examining Committee of the State of California Board of Medical Quality Assurance.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification.
- Pediatric Advanced Life support (PALS) certification will be acquired before completion of the established probationary period, but no later than six (6) months from hire date. Continued employment is dependent upon timely completion of this requirement.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification.
- Graduate of an NBRC approved school of respiratory therapy.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in a respiratory care department of an acute care hospital.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Awareness of organization and function of the Respiratory Care Department.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with personnel, patients, physicians, and the general public in person and over the telephone.
- Awareness of policies, regulations, and procedures of the Respiratory Care Department.
About Seneca Healthcare
At SHD we strive to deliver high-quality comprehensive services with excellence, compassion, and competence, meeting or exceeding the expectations of the community we serve. Our staff and providers are dedicated to being the leaders in rural healthcare by providing safe and effective quality health and wellness care. The staff and providers strive to meet our goals daily. Our commitment to the community is to create an atmosphere that promotes wellness and healing.