RN Charge Nurse-Skilled Nursing Facility- Day & Night Shifts
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 03/11/19
Eastern Plumas Health Care is a small, non-profit, critical access hospital district, providing comprehensive medical services to Plumas County since 1971. We operate a 9 bed acute care hospital at our main Portola campus, which includes a 24 hour, physician staffed, emergency room and ambulance service. In addition, four primary care medical clinics and a dental clinic offer residents a full spectrum of health care services in the Graeagle, Loyalton, and Portola communities. There are also hospital-based Skilled Nursing Facilities in Portola and Loyalton.
There are 2 openings for one night shift and one day shift position, full-time, with benefits. This position requires the ability to work in both our Portola and Loyalton campuses as needed.
- Assesses the residents on admission and on a weekly basis as well as when conditions change. Documents appropriately including Minimum Data Sets.
- Assesses the resident’s condition and nursing needs, prescribes appropriate nursing action.
- Ability to assess and reassess pain and pain management techniques utilized. Educates the resident and family regarding pain management.
- Documents changes in resident’s condition and nursing care on progress notes and care plan.
- Meets current documentation standards and policies.
- Notifies physician of changes in resident’s condition and follows through until appropriate action is taken.
- Notes and carries out physician’s orders in a timely manner.
- Follows and updates the resident’s care, writes weekly summaries on assigned residents, reviews the monthly MAR/Physician orders for correctness, completes monthly information necessary for billing, completes the monthly assessment of sedatives/hypnotics, and psychiatric medications, completes the assigned section of the MDS when due, and participates in the quarterly care conference when able.
- Gives a thorough report to oncoming shift informing them of all changes in condition and follow-up as needed.
- Follows through as needed on information given by shift report, residents or family regarding residents concerns.
- Implements plan of care of the resident based on assessments and goals established by the interdisciplinary care team.
- Treats residents and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethic and religious/spiritual needs of residents and their families. Care for patients in a manner conducive to their safety and comfort.
- Supervises other members of the healthcare team as needed to accomplish the plan of care which has been developed.
- Demonstrates competence in technical and manual skills according to the scope of practice for LVNs/RNs.
- Function as a resident advocate by protecting the resident’s rights.
- Administers medications using the five “rights” and performs treatments safely.
- Demonstrates creativity in solving problems and looking at situation in new and innovative ways. Will learn basic computer skills.
- Interacts with residents, families, co-workers and other departmental personnel in a kind, knowledgeable and friendly manner.
- Participates in orientation of new personnel and assists in performance evaluation when needed.
- Follows proper infection prevention procedures and supervises supportive staff in infection prevention procedures.
- Attends in-service training programs related to the job. Attends 100% of Licensed Staff Meetings yearly.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvements activities.
- Keeps in confidence any information learned concerning patients and hospital personnel.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean, Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time. Wears identification while on duty.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills / Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following education or combination of education and experience are required for the position:
- Must be currently licensed in the State of California.
- Must be CPR certified.
- IV Certified.
- Must be able to read and communicate effectively in English.
- Completes annual education requirements.
- Maintain regulatory requirements.
- Exhibits genuine interest in and appreciation of adults in later years of life.
- Must demonstrate a maturity level that enables him/her to perform the job in a professional and organized manner.