Location: Redding/Anderson Area
Job #: CO-2108-01
Employment Details: Full-time, Part-time, Regular, Non-Exempt
Up to 40 hours/week, Up to 52 weeks/year
Wage: $15.50 – $16.00
Shasta Head Start
Founded in 1965, Shasta Head Start is dedicated to providing comprehensive early childhood education, health, nutrition, disabilities, and mental health services to low-income children and families. Shasta Head Start’s 285 staff serve nearly 900 children and families in Shasta, Siskiyou, and Trinity counties.
We are committed to best practices in child development, education, and family advocacy through the delivery of comprehensive program services in a timely and consistent manner. We strive to empower individuals and families to achieve their maximum potential in an environment which respects their value and dignity.
We are currently looking for a Cook with a proven track record of food service experience. If you enjoy hard work and innovation, building positive relationships, and providing quality services to children and families, you may be who we are looking for.
Under the direct supervision of the Head Teacher or Site Supervisor, the Cook will maintain all aspects of kitchen management according to County, CACFP, and Head Start Performance Standards regulations and guidelines.
· Minimum High School Diploma or GED. Food Service or Culinary degree or certification desired
· Minimum six months related experience. Two or more years of institutional cooking for groups of 20 or more desired.
· ServSafe® certification desired
· Ability to write reports and correspondence, and read and interpret documents
· Ability to perform basic math
· Ability to solve practical problems
· Ability to work as a positive team member
· Ability to perform duties using proper cooking techniques and skills
· Must use safe and efficient knife handling.
· Pre-employment requirements:
o Valid California Driver License and clean DMV record
o Criminal Background Check Required
o Pre-Employment Strength Assessment
o Pre-Employment Drug Test
o Pre-Employment TB Test
o Up to date records of pertussis, measles, and influenza vaccines
· Responsible for purchasing necessary supplies and food and for preparing meals in accordance with Head Start Performance Standards and Child Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)
· Complete all paperwork according to the food service manual and the CACFP guidelines
· Monitor food allergies/dietary conditions of children and prepare food accordingly
· Preparation of all meals and snacks following all CACFP/PS guidelines and regulations
· Maintain a safe and sanitary environment according to all guidelines
· Perform additional center duties as directed by supervisor
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to taste or smell; climb, stoop, knee and crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 40 pounds floor to waist, occasionally lifts and/or move up to 75 pounds knuckle to waist and occasionally lift 15 pounds overhead occasionally. Push/pull up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to focus.
Shasta Head Start offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
· Employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance
· Paid Time Off (PTO)
· 15 paid holidays per year
· 401(k) to eligible employees after one year
· Extensive training opportunities
Please visit our website, www.shastaheadstart.org, to review the job description, view other open positions, and to apply for this position. Unofficial Transcripts and/or proof of degree required. To complete your application please submit transcripts or proof of degree via fax to (530) 243-8601 or mail to 375 Lake Blvd., Suite #100 Redding, CA 96003.
Shasta Head Start is an Equal Opportunity EmployerMinimum Education and Experience