Shelter Support Staff provide support to shelter residents during operating hours. A general summary of responsibilities including providing a safe, clean environment, supporting and assisting guests residing in shelter, and documenting any safety/security concerns or rule violations.
- Intake responsibilities, including the screening of residents for prohibited items;
- Provide residents with assigned location; log name and shelter number into database;
- Catalog and store any property, particular to each resident;
- Distribution of support items, e.g.: clean clothing, toiletries, etc.;
- Ensure that personal clothing and bedding are laundered prior to use at shelter;
- Communicate necessary guest information to shelter employees;
- Assist in the maintenance of safety and security of shelter property, and report concerns to Shelter Site Coordinator or security as necessary;
- Support and assist guests with their shelter needs as they arise;
- Maintain positive, supportive and respectful guest relations;
- Other duties as assigned.
Duties recorded above are representative of the duties of the class and are not intended to cover all the duties performed by incumbent(s) of any particular position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the scope of work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class; such assignments shall fall under the category of “other duties, as assigned.”
Tools and Equipment Used:
Personal computer, including word processing and specialized software, phone, typewriter, calculator, fax machine, copy machine.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk on a variety of surfaces, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, squat, crouch or crawl; use hands to finger, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; taste and smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of: Strong organizational and communication skills; experience in crisis intervention and problem solving with the ability to diffuse situations without heightening the conflict; customer service; interpersonal skills and ability to be compassionate and firm toward guests.
Ability to: establish and maintain professional boundaries while working with clients; to thrive in a flexible, fast-paced, and growth-oriented environment while maintaining a positive solution-oriented and client-centered approach; work alternative work shifts; maintain confidentiality; accurately record information required for client and staff documentation; to utilize a desktop computer including assigned applications.
Experience: Customer Service oriented background
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Additional Requirements: Experience in crisis intervention and problem solving is highly desired.
How To Apply: Please send resume to email@example.com. Include “Shelter Support Staff” in the subject line.Minimum Education and Experience