Under the general direction of certificated teachers, works with students individually or in groups following a prescribed course of instruction and performs other duties directly related to this job description.
- Tutors students, reinforces or follows-up on the teacher’s lessons by reading.
- Listens to students read, leads discussions, assists students with review of math concepts.
- Assists students with equipment used in their educational programs.
- Assists classroom teachers in maintaining discipline.
- Assists the teacher in maintaining a safe environment in the classroom.
- Reports any misconduct and/or any communication that a student is a danger to themselves or others.
- Assists teacher and student(s) during any emergency situation.
- Assists in testing and in scoring tests, and in the evaluation of the instruction and the students’ progress and problems.
- Follows teacher’s lesson plans.
- Assists in developing teaching aides by suggesting new aides and activities.
- Corrects papers and charts students on field trips.
- Attends inservice training sessions.
- May assist with supervising or serving students in other areas, including food services.
Food service responsibilities may include some of the following activities but will be better defined in the site-specific processes:
- Set up tables
- Set out food
- Serve food to students
- Supervise students in the lunchroom
- Clean tables and countertops
- Manage and maintain inventory, including ordering supplies and food
- Work with providers regarding policies/procedures/new guidelines
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to see and read with or without vision aids: ability to hear and understand speech at normal levels; ability to communicate so others will clearly understand normal conversation.
- Knowledge of correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, vocabulary and math concepts.
- Knowledge of basic methods used in tutoring.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, teachers and administrators.
- Ability to make standard math calculations rapidly and accurately.
- Familiarity with keyboarding and the use of a computer.
- Working Conditions
Light to moderate physical effort standing and/or walking for extended periods of time.
Lift and move instructional materials and equipment.
Moderate stress level.
Primary indoor classroom and school environment.
Temperature – normal climate.
Daily contact with students, teachers, school and district staff.
Occasional contact with parents and community members.
High school diplomas or equivalent; Must meet ESSA requirements.
Current California Food Handler’s card, issued every three years after online instruction and test.