SALARY: $1,372.47 – $1,645.19 Biweekly
DEPARTMENT: Del Norte County Department of Health and Human Services
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
The Social Service Aide differs from the Social Worker in that the former requires a lower level of skill and training than the level required of a professional Social Worker.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED AND RECEIVED
Incumbents in the Social Service Aide classification receive supervision from a Social Worker Supervisor or other higher-level supervisor or manager.
Examples of Duties
- Maintains a routine caseload of elderly adults who are infirm or incapacitated and receiving household services.
- Conducts ongoing client needs assessments and verifies needs by contacting medical and health services providers.
- Presents client assessments to professional staff for approval.
- Completes narrative reports regarding a client’s condition and services provided and/or recommended. Enters data regarding case and client information and contacts into automated system.
- Makes client referrals to medical personnel or social workers as needed.
- Provides direct training and counseling to mentally ill and developmentally disabled parents on parenting and household management skills, and teaches families about nutritional meal preparation, budgeting and household care.
- Monitors the medical and psychological care of abused children.
- Supervises visits between parents and children and reports observations to social worker.
- Provides emergency child care.
- Transports or accompanies clients to appointments for service or interviews.
- May testify in juvenile court hearings.
- Assists Social Workers in providing a variety of child and adult social services.
- Acts as liaison between clients and professional staff, individuals and groups in the community serviced.
- Directly assists families in using and learning about the resources of society, particularly medical, legal and employment services.
- Maintains records of work performed, and performs other related work as required.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Basic rules and regulations regarding In-Home Support Services, child abuse reporting, and Welfare and Institution Codes.
- Basic community resources useful to clients served, acceptable housekeeping and homemaking standards, including the methods, materials and equipment used in general housekeeping work.
- Basic methods and attitudes involved in the in-home care of physically ill, handicapped or disabled persons and adequate food preparation with limited kitchen equipment.
- Interview persons to obtain a variety of information applicable to the provision of social services.
- Understand and accept differences in human behavior resulting from cultural, economic or other forms of deprivation.
- Effectively instruct physically and mentally disabled adults in parenting and household skills.
- Deal with physically and sexually abused children.
- Prepare basic written reports.
- Recognize and report specific indications of need for social services.
- Maintain confidential information in accordance with legal standards and/or County regulations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers, outside organizations, and the public.
Examples of social or behavioral science courses include: anthropology, criminal justice, economics, education, ethnic studies, history, human development, law, nursing, nutrition, philosophy, political science, psychology, public health, religion, social welfare, sociology, welfare, women’s studies.
- A valid driver’s license may be required at the time of appointment and employees may also be required to drive their own car, provide proof of car insurance, and a DMV clearance. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- As a condition of employment, the County of Del Norte will require proof of ability to work in the U.S.
- Position may require pre-employment drug testing, physical, and fingerprinting for a background investigation.
- This recruitment will be used to fill full-time, part-time, and extra-help positions as vacancies occur.
- Government agencies accessing US government information, which include federal tax information must ensure that background investigation requirements for all agency employees and contractors that have access to federal tax information are consistent to the IRS background investigation requirements for access to federal tax information. A background check may be required if the position requires access to these types of records. Background requirements consist of three components which include, fingerprinting, citizenship verification and local law enforcement checks. State agencies must conduct investigation during time of hire and ensure a reinvestigation is conducted 10 years from the date of the previous background investigation for each employee that has access to federal tax information.
If supplemental questions are included as a part of this job bulletin, applicants may be rated based upon their responses to the supplemental questions. If rated, only those that are determined to be highly qualified will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
SPECIAL TESTING ARRANGEMENTS
Special testing arrangements may be made to accommodate applicants for disability, military, or religious reasons. If you require such arrangements, please contact the California Department of Human Resources, Merit System Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 916-323-2756 upon notification that your application has been approved. Documentation from medical, military, school, or church officials outlining the accommodation request must be received by our office a minimum of five business days prior to a scheduled examination.
ABOUT DEL NORTE COUNTY
Del Norte County, where the redwoods meet the sea, is located in the northwest corner of California along the Pacific Ocean and adjacent to the Oregon border. The substantially rural county is notable for forests containing coast redwoods, some over 350 feet tall. These redwoods are the tallest living things on Earth, dating back over 2,000 years. Notably, the County is located in one of the few rain forests in the temperate region. The County is home to a multitude of unique plants and flowers, coastal bird and fish species, rocky primitive beaches and sea stacks, pristine rivers, and historic lighthouses. Del Norte County is home to several fun river and ocean activities, a variety of food festivals, including local seafood, a sanctioned BBQ cook-off, raft races on the beautiful and wild Smith River, and the very popular ocean stand up paddle board race. There are numerous hiking trails located within the national and state parks, as well as sponsored park events throughout the year. Star Wars enthusiasts will also recognize the County as being the location of some of the forest scenes used in Return of the Jedi.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: