SOLID WASTE TRUCK DRIVER I
Regular Full-Time Positions $23.08 – $24.23 per hour
Full-Time Temporary Positions $16.00 – $18.14 per hour
The City of Redding Solid Waste Division is accepting applications for the position of Solid Waste Truck Driver I. Incumbents work in the collection, removal, and disposal of residential and commercial solid waste and the collection, removal, and processing of residential and commercial recyclables.
As candidates apply they will be placed on the Solid Waste Truck Driver I eligibility list. Your application will stay on the eligibility list for 3 months. You will not be notified when your application expires. There is no closing date and applications will be accepted on a continuous basis.
We are looking for someone to
- Operate trucks and other equipment, collection and removal of solid waste and processing of recyclables. Examples of equipment operated would be a collection truck, container delivery truck, forklift, small loader, and baler.
- Maintain equipment in good operating condition, including steam cleaning and power washing.
- Maintain containers and wheeled carts in good condition.
- Listen to customers’ concerns, questions, or complaints and provide solutions within the prescribed City regulations.
- Keep route sheets up to date.
- Work on Materials Recovery Facility and baler, sorting and baling materials and dumping containers. Work on transfer station floor removing recyclables from solid waste stream.
- Keep recyclables separate after being sorted from MRF or removed from transfer station floor.
- Deliver recyclables to recycling vendors.
- Operate recycling truck and trailer for apartments and mobile home parks.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications we’re looking for
All appropriate vehicle codes; mechanical operations of vehicles used.
City policies and regulations relating to solid waste management.
Geographic layout of the City.
Interact effectively with the public and employees.
Operate required equipment with skill, efficiency, and safety.
Demonstrate safe driving techniques, record, and good common sense.
Display a courteous, cooperative attitude in dealing with customers and employees.
Education, Experience and Special Requirements:
Any combination of training and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying.
Typical education would include a high school diploma or equivalent.
Possession of a California Class B driver’s license, or the ability to acquire one within ten days of appointment.
Applicants will be subject to pre-employment drug and alcohol testing and, if hired, will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing pursuant to Department of Transportation regulations.
What to expect from the Application and Exam Process
You will receive notifications pertaining to this recruitment at the e-mail address and text message number provided on your application. Email correspondence may go to your spam and junk mail folders.
Application Process: Interested individuals must submit a City of Redding online employment application and supplemental questionnaire. Incomplete applications and/or supplemental questionnaires may not be processed. Meeting the announced requirements does not guarantee selection. The list will be used to fill regular full-time vacancies as well as full-time temporary vacancies.
Examination Process: Interviews and/or written elements may be administered by the hiring managers and you will be contacted directly by the department if selected. Positions may include day, evening, holiday and weekend shift work and exposure to the elements.
Selection Process: Final appointment is contingent upon:
- Positive past employment references
- Passing a city paid fingerprint criminal conviction check (applicants 18 and older)
- Passing of a pre-employment medical exam and drug and alcohol screening test
The City of Redding adheres to Cal/OSHA COVID-19 requirements.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/FEDERAL AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Minimum Education and Experience