Our mission is simple: make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. DroneSeed is transforming a 300-million-acre global landscape deforested since the 1990s. It would take 300-years to replant this deficit with current tools. That’s where our technology using drone swarms, survey and data collection, and proprietary seed delivery vessels can substantially help to speed up the process. We’re making it scalable by navigating hard terrain, providing labor better tools, and shortening the supply chain from 18-36 months to 30-60 days.
We work in post-wildfire environments to plant native trees and vegetation using heavy lift drone swarms. We’ve pioneered seed vessels and tailored them to survive in different ecosystems. Our aerial survey and data collection process allows us to deliver vessels to microsites at the ¼ acre scale and boost survival. We continually integrate rapidly evolving aircraft and hardware technology which enables us to operate in some of the world’s most challenging terrain environments.
DroneSeed is a Techstars alumni founded in 2016 to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. We work with 3 of the 5 largest timber companies in the United States, and are backed by partners like Social Capital, Spero Ventures, the co-founder of DocuSign, and others focused on solving the world’s hardest problems.
What you’ll be doing:
As a Sr. GIS Specialist, you will be part of a detailed and driven team that supports drone operations through survey data processing, mission planning, and creating maps for customers. You will be integral to the entire mission planning life cycle, which includes evaluating geodata, processing LiDAR and multispectral imagery, maintaining organization of large quantities of spatial data, using custom software to generate missions, and identifying and digitizing micro/macro seeding sites, exclusion zones, and operational areas. Finally, you’ll partner closely with our operations and product teams to improve the data collection process in order to deliver better insights to our customers.
You have the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Environmental Science, Forestry, Computer Science or a related field.
- 2+ years of experience using GIS software to perform standard spatial analyses and create map assets to face challenging real-world environmental problems. Experience in open-source software, spatial data process libraries, Python and/or R, SQL, and command-line tools and workflows are a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of photogrammetry, and experience in processing LiDAR data, multispectral imagery, and aerial photo interpretation.
- Experience working with large quantities of spatial data with excellent organization and data management skills.
- Ability to manage requests from various departments, juggle multiple priorities, and create high-quality deliverables.
- Desire and ability to work independently and autonomously.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an innate attention to detail.
- Exposure to UAS, knowledge of requirements and regulations, and/or FAA Part 107 certified are a plus.
- Knowledge or experience in forestry or a related field is a plus.
Benefits of working at DroneSeed: We’re focused on making a positive impact on the environment. We value a highly diverse team, have a mix of fixed office and remote workforce, and optimize for maximum collaboration. Our headquarters is located in Seattle (Ballard), Washington but we have employees across the Pacific Northwest, New Zealand, and New York State.
Other Information: This role is a contract to hire and 100% remote. Candidates must be eligible to work in and primarily based in the United States. DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and ready to bring your GIS and problem solving skills to teams focused on multi-vehicle, heavy-lift drone operations in some of the world’s most challenging terrain environments, we’d love to speak with you.