Bengtson Inc., DBA Chico Cash Exchange and Oro Jewelry & Loan in Chico and Oroville, is looking for a Store Manager. The The Store Manager serves as the first line supervisor of a Pawn, Retail, and Money Services location. Oversees the operations, logistics, customer service, security, data management, and profitability of the location assigned.
Essential Functions: What you’ll do most of the time.
- Personnel Functions
- Assign tasks to employees and ensure workload equity while utilizing staffs’ individual talents.
- Train new employees and develop training tools ongoing employee development.
- Perform employee reviews and establish metrics for measuring employee success. Perform corrective action reviews, adverse action notices.
- Monitor employee work quality, productivity, customer service standards, and other success metrics.
- Lead by example: gain a mastery of store tasks and performance expectations sufficient to demonstrate excellence to employees in your own interactions with customers and in performing tasks.
- Operations Functions
- Oversee daily pricing standards (buy/sell/pawn ranges) for precious metals & diamonds, consumer goods, collectables, art and more, using a variety of online pricing tools and market data.
- Coordinate transfers of inventory between your store and other Bengtson, Inc. locations. Oversee transfer of inventory from “hold” or “pawn” periods into store inventory.
- Process updates to CRM and Database software, store server, with support from IT.
- Act as point of contact for vendors, buyers, law enforcement, government oversight, chambers of commerce, and other external stakeholders.
- Oversee facilities and grounds maintenance by coordinating with landscapers, repair companies, etc.
- Management Functions
- Act as primary point of contact at store for Company Owners or Executives.
- Oversee, coordinate, and execute processes that lead to success metrics which include but are not limited to: total loans issued, cumulative amount of loans issued, total amount of precious metals purchased, profit margin (melt value) of metals purchased, margin of purchase-to-sale prices, etc.
- Perform Customer Experience Mapping and Customer Surveys to establish improvement metrics.
- Oversee or personally handle the purchase of or loans against items that exceed established employee limits. Oversee or personally handle the purchase, sale, or collateral loan (pawn) of high value items or for cases where utmost delicacy and professionalism is required.
- Candidate is expected to gain expertise in wide variety of items including jewelry, precious metals, diamonds/gemstones, art, collectables, electronics, tools, power tools, sporting goods and more, so that you can act as a source of expertise for staff and customers. Ample training is provided.
- Candidate is expected to gain a mastery of DataAge software tools, online sales platforms, online marketing strategies, the Pawn industry, the Check Cashing industry, Western Union & Money Gram transfer services. Ample training will be provided to assist incumbent in gaining these skills.
- Other Functions
- May be asked to infrequently travel to conventions, trainings, or purchase opportunities within California or Nevada, but requiring overnight stay. Frequency would be 0-2 times annually.
- May be required to occasionally visit/work at other stores in Butte & Sutter counties for training or to provide assistance to management/staff there.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements: What you need to bring
- Graduation from high school, or equivalency.
- At least 5 years of retail, banking, or customer service experience. At least 2 years of management experience.
- Very strong math skills: measurements, weights, percentages, fractions, basic geometry, basic algebra, sales tax calculations, interest calculations
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Outlook, Excel.
- Internet proficiency: Understanding how to do internet research using credible sources. Understanding how online sales platforms (eBay, Amazon, Etsy, Poshmark, Craigslist, etc. ) work.
- Good writing skills: ability to write grammatically correct, sensible descriptions of items. Able to write professional correspondence with customers, vendors, police departments, and other stakeholders.
- Good communication skills: Ability to speak plainly and factually about items, events, situations. Ability to speak with customers in delicate situations in a compassionate and respectful way. Ability to de-escalate situations.
- Negotiation skills: Ability to work with buyers, sellers, or borrowers to agree on a dollar value or loan terms.
- Organization skills: Ability to coordinate the work of 4-10 employees. Ability to keep a daily, monthly, quarterly, or annual schedule of reports, tasks, etc. Able to manage a very large inventory, with multiple sales channels.
- Respect for diversity. We serve and employ a diverse community and want candidates who are like-minded.
Incentives: What we can offer you
- Competitive hourly pay, plus monthly store performance bonuses. $19/Hour, plus $300-$600 per month in sales/performance bonuses.
- 2 Weeks annual vacation.
- 401K program with employer match.
- Periodic sales/performance contests.
- Store discounts on jewelry, electronics, tools, and more.
- A unique education: we provide training on Jewelry & Diamond appraisal, Lending, Sales Strategies, Consumer goods (electronics, power tools, appliances, sporting goods), collectables, numismatics (rare coins) and more.
- A chance to advance your career. We promote from within, and reward success.
- Opportunities to expand your professional profile: retail management, lending, customer service, community relations, investment markets, security, more!
- We are a locally owned company, living and working in Butte and Sutter counties for over 40 years. We value our employees, and treat them like family
- Cool factor. You will be a real life “Pawn Star”. You’ll work every day with extravagant jewelry, diamonds, rare coins, gold bullion, rare collectables, expensive watches, motorcycles, art, and more. We promise you, you won’t ever be bored, and you’ll see a lot of cool stuff.
Ideal Candidate: Here’s how you know if you’re really the right one…
- Are you interested in cool stuff? Do you have a hobby or passion? You might like managing a pawn shop.
- Do you enjoy helping people? We provide a valuable service to people that need a helping hand.
- Do you like limitless potential? You are in control of how your store performs, its success is your success.
- Background in retail management, lending management, or banking preferred.
- College courses or other training in Business, Mathematics, Business Writing, Accounting, etc. a plus.
- Spanish bilingual is a huge plus!
- Human Resource or personnel management preferred (have experience supervising and developing a team).
About Bengtson, Inc.: Bengtson, Inc. DBA Chico Cash Exchange and Oro Jewelry & Loan, is a locally owned company operating Collateral Lending (“pawn shops”) stores in Chico, Oroville, and Yuba City/Marysville. We specialize in fine jewelry, high-end watches more. We are the Northstate’s premier location for gold and silver bullion investment. We defy the expectations and stereotypes of the pawn industry by providing a friendly, fun, compassionate environment for our customers. Learn more at https://www.chicocashexchange.com/
This job description not an exhaustive list of duties, skills or responsibilities required for the position. This description is meant to provide an example of duties, experience, skills, and responsibilities required or desired in an incumbent.Valid Driver's License. Ability to pass a background check & drug screen upon offer of employment.Minimum Education and Experience