SUSANVILLE INDIAN RANCHERIA
745 Joaquin Street
Susanville, CA 96130
OPENING DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT: May 16, 2023
CLOSING DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT: June 2, 2023
POSITION TITLE: Accounting Specialist
STARTING SALARY: $20.11
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
HOURS: Full Time
BENEFITS: Highly competitive package *See below
SUBJECT TO P.L. 101-630: Yes This position works with and around our children and youth and is therefore subject to P.L. 101-630.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Accounting Specialist provides highly responsible financial clerical staff assistance, including conducting specific and moderately complex financial analyses of a wide range of department activities, including fiscal and budget monitoring. The major duties of the job include adhering to the established financial and accounting policies and procedures of the Susanville Indian Rancheria. This position serves to reconcile the general ledger appropriately each month. Further, duties include preparation of worksheets of routine journal entries in Excel, maintenance of the fixed assets ledger, preparation of bank postings, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll with the subsidiary and general ledgers, preparation of federal funding reports, and assistance in the preparation of budgets and financial reports as requested.
SPECIFIC AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in maintaining the Tribe’s financial management, accounting, and reporting system under Fiscal Controller supervision.
- Assist Controller, in planning, coordinating, and preparing for audit and interfacing with the selected public accounting firm in providing financial reconciliation, asset depreciation schedules, 1099’s reports, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, grants and contracts and bank reconciliations.
- Assists with accurate posting of general ledger, subsidiary ledgers and journals and perform monthly subsidiary ledgers and general ledger reconciliation worksheet updated.
- Assists with accurate posting of accounts receivables, accounts payables and adjusting entries to general ledger monthly.
- Assist SIR with various bank accounts reconciliation and oversees prompt filing of tax returns (Federal DE6’S, 941’S, 1099’S, W2’S, etc.).
- Assist Fiscal Controller and independent auditors in annual review of accounting system.
- Assists with accurate and timely completion of Tribal payroll, processing and issuing payroll checks, completing payroll tax reports, workers compensation and group insurance reports, etc.
- Assists with maintaining employee confidence and protecting payroll, receivable, payable and grant/contract operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains fixed assets schedule.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
A. Knowledge of accounting principles.
1. Must have a high school diploma or equivalent from an accredited high school.
2. Must have a valid California driver’s license or license from current residence state.
3. Must pass P.L. 101-630 background check OR pre-employment background check.
4. Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
5. Must have a valid CPR card or be able to obtain one within ninety (90) days of hire.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION
6. Two (2) years of accounting experience
7. Two (2) years of experience in an office environment.
8. An Associate Degree or two years of college classes.
1. PHYSICAL SAFETY: The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying of light items, driving an automobile, etc. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
2. WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
- Uphold all principles of confidentiality.
- Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standards.
- Interact in an honest, trustworthy and respectful manner with employees, visitors and vendors.
- Participate in departmental staff meetings, quality management activities, cultural and educational programs.
- Comply with policies and procedures.
- Display respect and understanding of Susanville Indian Rancheria’s traditions and values.
- The way the employee relates to fellow employees, customers and visitors is considered parallel in importance to technical knowledge and ability.
- Any attitude or behavior that will tarnish the name or reputation of the Susanville Indian Rancheria will not be tolerated and is subject to disciplinary action.
1st Preference: Enrolled member of a Federally Recognized Tribe.
2nd Preference: Documented proof of Veteran Status, i.e. DD-214, Veterans Benefit Card.
3rd Preference: All other applicants.
SIR BENEFITS PACKAGE:
The Susanville Indian Rancheria offers its full-time employees a highly competitive benefits package, including: annual cost-of-living increases; eligibility for annual merit increases; sixteen paid holidays; thirteen days paid sick leave; up to twenty-six days paid annual leave (depending on length of service); maternity leave; paternity leave; affordable group health, dental, vision, and life insurance; and 401(k) retirement plan.
HOW TO APPLY AND APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
All applicants are required to submit a Susanville Indian Rancheria/ Lassen Indian Health Center application. Applications can be found on our website at: www.sir-nsn.gov/human-resources/ (SIR – LIHC – Gaming Commission Application for Employment P.L. 101-630 Requirements) or picked up at 745 Joaquin Street, Susanville, CA. Resumes in addition to the Application is encouraged but not mandatory.
Only complete applications will be considered. For your application to be considered complete you must attach the following:
1. Completed Susanville Indian Rancheria/Lassen Indian Health Center Application.
2. Copy of your High School Diploma And/Or College Degree or transcripts documenting your graduation or completion of your Degree.
3. Copy of your valid Driver’s License.
4. Copy of any other certifications required.
5. Copy of Tribal Card, if claiming Indian Preference.
6. Copy of DD214 or other proof of Veteran status, if claiming Veteran’s Preference.
7. In additional we encourage you to provide a statement on how you meet each Minimum and Additional Qualifications and Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities.
Complete applications can be dropped off in person to the Human Resources Office at 745 Joaquin Street, Susanville, California, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. They may be faxed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the above address. All applications must be received by 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the announcement.
EOEMinimum Education and Experience