SUSANVILLE INDIAN RANCHERIA
745 Joaquin Street
Susanville, CA 96130
OPENING DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT: July 7, 2022
CLOSING DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT: First Cut-off Date July 21, 2022
Second Cut-off Date Aug. 4, 2022
Final Cut-off Date Aug. 18, 2022
POSITION TITLE: Staff Accountant (Payroll)
STARTING SALARY: $28.77 to $35.97 depending on experience
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
HOURS: Full Time
BENEFITS: Highly competitive package *See below
SUBJECT TO P.L. 101-630: Yes. This position works with and around our children and youth and is therefore subject to P.L. 101-630.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Staff Accountant (Payroll) under the general supervision of the Controller will perform a variety of specialized record keeping duties associated with the day-to-day processing of payroll, accounts payable, and revenue collection for the tribal governmental and clinic funds. Including maintaining governmental fund process always from entry to final filing of documentation.
SPECIFIC AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Maintains Electronic Timekeeping for all staff members and assists IT with any issues involving the Electronic timekeeping.
· Audits and reviews all Employee Action notices and verifies for accuracy and may be required to enter information for bi-weekly payroll.
· Prepares biweekly Payroll, audits all time submissions, verifies all supporting documents from the Personnel Policies are attached as required. Verifies all Overtime Federal laws are being complied with. Can prepare and assist Department heads in specialized areas of reporting for payroll, Firefighting and Davis Bacon Wages compliance are examples of other rules governing the payroll day to day functions.
· Prepares and submits all Tax payments- Federal and State, transfers for funding of payroll. Activities are all very time sensitive including some that must be transmitted by a certain hour in the daily work environment.
· Ensures that accounts payable generated by payroll are paid in a timely manner Assist Accounts Payable staff if needed of other types of accounts payable operations and can process payments if necessary.
· Reconciles Liability accounts monthly associated with Payroll to ensure accuracy of filing information and ensure payments are meeting deadlines.
· Assists with the preparation of forms, reports, and other required documents necessary for compliance with state and federal reporting requirements for Payroll. Prepares for review all quarterly and annual payroll reports -941’s state EDD, W-2’s and 1095’s.
· Maintains current knowledge of Payroll and Personnel laws so that HR and Federal programs are meeting the requirements in the processing of Payroll.
· Assists with the proper filing of all Payroll information required for audit and that it is meeting security and privacy rules.
· Process travel and verifies that it is meeting the Travel Policies and that best pricing practices are being followed.
· Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
A. Ability to understand and comprehend the different business and program activities of the tribal government and health clinic to support the compliance requirements for various agencies.
B. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
C. Knowledge of governmental accounting standard board requirements.
D. Ability to train and provide quality assurance to other staff members.
E. Ability to train and organize work activities for new and lower level employees.
F. Knowledge of the Tribal polices and Federal and state regulations for a variety of roles that interact with the Fiscal Department.
G. Ability to develop estimates for projects, trips and/or cost proposals.
H. Knowledge of all fund and program requirements under governmental accounting rules.
I. Ability to perform arithmetic calculations rapidly.
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration with accounting concentration or an associate degree or a combination of education and experience totaling eight (8) years
2. Must have a valid California driver’s license or license from current residence state.
3. Must pass P.L. 101-630 background check.
4. Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
5. Must have a valid CPR card or be able to obtain one within ninety (90) days of hire.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION
1. MIP – Abila Software experience is preferred.
2. Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in public or fund accounting.
3. Minimum of three (3) years-experience maintaining and operating a budget for a complex organization with multiple funding sources and departments.
4. Must be proficient in Accounting, Math, Excel, and Word.
5. Must be bonded or become bonded within six (6) months after hire date.
6. Must have complete understanding of general ledger record keeping and the ability to utilize specialized accounting software.
1. PHYSICAL SAFETY: The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying of light items, driving an automobile, etc. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
2. WORKING ENVIRONMENT: The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying of light items, driving an automobile, etc. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Uphold all principles of confidentiality.
Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standards.
Interact in an honest, trustworthy and respectful manner with employees, visitors and vendors.
Participate in departmental staff meetings, quality management activities, cultural and educational programs.
Comply with policies and procedures.
Display respect and understanding of Susanville Indian Rancheria’s traditions and values.
The way the employee relates to fellow employees, customers and visitors is considered parallel in importance to technical knowledge and ability.
Any attitude or behavior that will tarnish the name or reputation of the Susanville Indian Rancheria will not be tolerated and is subject to disciplinary action.
1st Preference: Enrolled member of a Federally Recognized Tribe.
2nd Preference: Documented proof of Veteran Status, i.e. DD-214, Veterans Benefit Card.
3rd Preference: All other applicants.
SIR BENEFITS PACKAGE:
The Susanville Indian Rancheria offers its full-time employees a highly competitive benefits package, including: annual cost-of-living increases (based on SSA COLA); eligibility for annual merit increases; twelve paid holidays; thirteen days paid sick leave; up to twenty-six days paid annual leave (depending on length of service); maternity leave; paternity leave; affordable group health, dental, vision, and life insurance; and 401(k) retirement plan.
HOW TO APPLY AND APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
All applicants are required to submit a Susanville Indian Rancheria/ Lassen Indian Health Center application. Applications can be found on our website at: www.sir-nsn.gov/human-resources/ (SIR – LIHC – Gaming Commission Application for Employment P.L. 101-630 Requirements) or picked up at 745 Joaquin Street, Susanville, CA.
Only complete applications will be considered. For your application to be considered complete you must attach the following:
1. Completed Susanville Indian Rancheria/Lassen Indian Health Center Application.
2. Copy of your High School Diploma AND College Degree or transcripts documenting your graduation or completion of your Degree.
3. Copy of your valid Driver’s License.
4. Copy of any other certifications required.
5. Copy of Tribal Card, if claiming Indian Preference.
6. Copy of DD214 or other proof of Veteran status, if claiming Veteran’s Preference.
7. An additional statement on how you meet each Minimum and Additional Qualification and Knowledge, Skills and Abilities.
Complete applications can be dropped off in person to the Human Resources Office at 745 Joaquin Street, Susanville, California, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. They may also be faxed to (530) 251-1895 or mailed to the above address. All applications must be received by 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the announcement.
EOEMinimum Education and Experience