Shasta Head Start
Founded in 1965, Shasta Head Start is dedicated to providing comprehensive early childhood education, health, nutrition, disabilities, and mental health services to low-income children and families. Shasta Head Start’s 285 staff serve nearly 900 children and families in Shasta, Siskiyou, and Trinity counties.
We are committed to best practices in child development, education, and family advocacy through the delivery of comprehensive program services in a timely and consistent manner. We strive to empower individuals and families to achieve their maximum potential in an environment which respects their value and dignity.
We are currently looking for a Substitute with a proven track record of early childhood teaching experience. If you enjoy building relationships, hard work and innovation, providing excellence, and want to have fun with your fellow employees, you may be who we are looking for.
Under the direct supervision of the Head Teacher or Site Supervisor, the Substitute will support classroom staff in providing care and education to children in a Head Start classroom.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Ability to enroll and complete six (6) Early Childhood Education units within one year of hire(Have Six (6) Early Childhood Education units completed desired.)
- Six (6) months related experience desired
- Ability to work with individual and groups of children ages 0-5, supporting social emotional, physical, and cognitive growth
- Ability to work with others in supporting a positive work environment
- Ability to write reports and correspondence and read and interpret documents
- Valid California Drivers License and clean DMV record
- Criminal Background Check Required
- Pre-Employment Strength Assessment
- Pre-Employment Drug Test
- Pre-Employment TB Test
- Up to date records of pertussis, measles, and influenza vaccines
- Assist classroom staff in maintaining a safe, clean, and healthy work environment
- Assist in the compliance of Head Start Performance Standards, federal and state regulations, and Community Care Licensing requirements
- Support classroom staff in the implementation of developmentally appropriate curriculum and assessment process
- Model appropriate behavior and interact in a positive, friendly and courteous manner with children, staff, families and community volunteers in order to build and foster responsive relationships
- Assist in the supervision and management of children in the classroom
- Provide services as bus monitor (where applicable)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. The employee must be able to occasionally lift 20 pounds overhead and 40 pounds from waist to shoulder. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 40 pounds, and occasionally lifts 50 pounds from floor to waist. The employee must be able to push/pull up to 75 pounds horizontally. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Please visit our website, www.shastaheadstart.org, to review the job description, view other open positions, and to apply for this position. Unofficial Transcripts and/or proof of degree required. To complete your application, please submit transcripts or proof of degree via fax to (530) 243-8601; or mail to 375 Lake Blvd., Suite #100 Redding, CA 96003.
Shasta Head Start is an Equal Opportunity Employer