SALARY RANGE: $16.88 – $18.61 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 04/21/2021
CLOSING DATE: 05/30/2021
Under the direction of the Operations Manager and General Manager. Operates a 30 to 60 passenger bus in a manner that provides safe, reliable and courteous passenger transportation, information and assistance to various destinations within the transit district.
ESSENTIAL FUNCITIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Completes vehicle pre-trip and post trip inspections utilizing methods designated by federal and state Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations and guidelines. Prepares vehicle inspection reports and advises the Maintenance Department of any immediate repairs or irregularities needing attention (after hours contact the on-call Supervisor for immediate needs).
- Operates 30 to 60 passenger buses on various routes and schedules providing service to persons with disabilities, to the elderly and the general public.
- Assists passengers, as needed, with boarding or disembarking buses including assistance with luggage, shopping bags, packages, shopping carts, baby strollers, walkers and other miscellaneous articles; secure articles as needed.
- Utilizes bus lift to board passengers with a variety of wheeled mobility devices; properly secure passengers and wheeled mobility devices.
- Promotes good passenger relations by providing positive treatment of passengers; greet passengers in a tactful and courteous manner; assists with seating, questions, directions and other service related matters; assures passenger comfort, safety and security.
- Collects fares, sell bus passes and issue transfers.
- Completes, prepares and submits required paperwork accurately, including but not limited to time sheets, trip, incidents, accident, referral, and vehicle inspection reports.
- Operates two-way radio/phone for professional routine communications with dispatch and other transit vehicles; monitors mobile communications; reports unusual conditions such as, but not limited to, incidents, vehicle collisions, road conditions, passenger safety and security, traffic or equipment problems; use of cell/camera phone.
- Utilizes universal precautions when handling potentially infectious materials to prevent disease transmission.
- Remains calm and focused following an incident involving a passenger and/or vehicle.
- Responsible for passenger and vehicle safety and security following an incident.
- Maintains courteous and professional conduct with co-workers at all times; projects a positive public image while on and off duty and wearing a company uniform.
- Cares for and turns in lost and found articles.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Class B with Passenger and Air Endorsement is desirable. HTA will train.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS:
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal and customer relations skills.
- Traffic laws with safety and security rules applicable to the transportation of passengers.
- Learn and explain regular transit practices and procedures.
- Learn and practice safety and security rules and procedures required in the transportation of persons with disabilities and the very young and elderly.
- Learn bus routes, schedules, streets and locations within the transit district service area.
- Drive under all conditions of weather, roadways, and traffic with successfully dealing with passengers’ route and schedule requirements. Resolve customer complaints courteously and tactfully and maintain a courteous, professional approach when dealing with the public.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to passenger’s needs and limitations.
- Read and interpret maps.
- Remain flexible in handling changes.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing in a professional manner.
- Maintain accurate records and reports.
- Use appropriate practices and procedures when securing various types of wheeled mobility devices.
- Multitask during normal and emergency operations.
- Undergo hands on fire extinguisher training and bus evacuation procedure training.
JOB CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- This is a safety sensitive position and requires pre-employment and random drug testing mandated by the Federal Transit Administration.
- Varied shifts; must be willing to work at the scheduled time and location.
Essential job functions require the ability to:
- Meet Commercial standards.
- Sit for extended periods of time.
- Use arms, wrists and hands to turn steering wheel of transit vehicle.
- Use legs to apply pressure for braking of transit vehicle.
- Adjust transit vehicle seats and mirrors to gain necessary line of vision to maneuver vehicle safely.
- Maneuver heavy wheeled mobility devices.
- Climb, stand, walk, bend, stoop, crouch and kneel to inspect vehicle or assist passengers.
- Push, pull, or maneuver carts, strollers, wheeled mobility devices. Lift approximately 50 pounds or more.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: https://www.hta.org
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
133 V STREET EUREKA, CA 95501
707-443-2032 faxMinimum Education and Experience