Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians Tribal Government
Full-Time, Non-Exempt; 40 hours per week
“Native Preference in hiring is given to qualified enrolled members of Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians and Native Americans in accordance with the Band’s Preference Policy (Chapter 1-715 of the Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians Tribal Policies). Applicants claiming Indian Preference must submit verification of Indian certified by tribe of affiliation or other acceptable documentation of Indian heritage”.
Under direct supervision and guidance of the Tribal Historic Preservation Officer (THPO), the Tribal Monitor will promote, protect, preserve and manage all matters relating to Cultural Resources. They will perform a variety of tasks to serve as Cultural Resource lead and/or principal investigator for cultural resources investigations involving varying levels of constraints, study requirements and documentation. Must be self-motivated, have the capacity to multi-task, maintain a positive attitude, and possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the protection and preservation of Culture Resources during preconstruction and/or pre-development activities, including plans for ground disturbance activities during emergencies within the Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians (PBNI) reservation.
- Ensure Native American remains, funerary items and items of cultural patrimony are treated with appropriate dignity according to Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians customs and traditions.
- Assist in evaluating Initial Studies, Environmental Impact Reports, Cultural Resource Studies.
- Reports and/or any other reports for proposed development projects within the aboriginal and ancestral lands of Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians.
- Ability to conduct initial site surveys and field pre-work for monitoring activities within the aboriginal boundaries of Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians (PBNI) ancestral lands.
- Ability to conduct fieldwork and monitoring.
- Conduct cultural surveys within the boundaries and ancestral lands of the Tribe.
- Prepare site record reports and Primary Records.
- Assist in the maintenance of historic and cultural properties inventory on Tribal Lands.
- Assist in the education of staff and contractors working within Ancestral Lands with an awareness of cultural resources and observance of undiscovered cultural resources.
- Keep detailed notes and records information in the appropriate format for Paskenta’s file records and site protection records, including electronic records and GIS records.
- Ability to create sketch maps for site identification.
- Produce daily and weekly reports of monitoring activities.
- Travel to construction and/or project sites as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Work within established deadlines.
- Must be able to listen, communicate and maintain a professional manner.
- Ability to work well with the THPO and Tribal Members.
- Ability to communicate clearly with Tribal Government, federal, state, or local governmental agencies, and archeological consultants.
- Other duties as directed by the Cultural Committee and/or Tribal Council.
1. High School Diploma or the equivalent.
2. Familiarity with Administration skills, including navigating email and google calendar.
3. Knowledge of archaeological excavation and investigation procedures.
4. Knowledge and experience of cultural landscapes, such as villages, hunting and processing sites, gathering areas, and/or burial sites.
5. Knowledge of federal and state laws enacted to protect Native American cultural resources, cultural properties, cultural sites, burial sites, and cemeteries.
6. Knowledge of topographical maps and use of UTMs.
7. Ability to learn new computer software programs or mobile apps, as needed.
8. Physically able to conduct surveys, site visits, and monitoring of projects.
9. Must be sensitive to tribal culture and cultural differences.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS
Must meet the licensing requirements by the Paskenta Gaming Commission. Must have a Valid California driver’s license. Please be advised a pre-employment Drug Test and a Department of Justice Fingerprinting clearance will be required as a condition of employment.
This position requires the physical agility to access potential project sites in diverse terrain. The monitor is physically exposed to various weather temperatures while surveying the sites. While performing the duties of this job, the Tribal Monitor is regularly required to sit and stand, use fingers and hands to handle and/or feel work-related items. Requires the ability to perform heavy manual labor, occasionally in extreme weather conditions. Position requires the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (i.e., lift, carry, and move) light to medium weights of 10-50 pounds on a regular basis and over 50 pounds on an occasional basis. Must have sufficient hand-eye coordination, hand and finger dexterity, including the ability to grasp items as needed. Visual acuity to operate equipment, and to read technical and safety information is a must.
The Tribal Monitor frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or maybe crawl. The Tribal Monitor is required to stand and walk for long periods of time. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally required to work near a moderate noise level. The employee may be required to work in an environment
subjected to cigarette smoke. This position requires the ability to work non-conventional work hours.
Interested in joining the team?
The Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians and the Tribal Office often have employment opportunities available. To apply, complete the PDF application located at the bottom of this page. For other employment inquiries complete the form on this page.
Candidate Instructions for Applying:
- Complete Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians Employment Application.
- Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians Application is required for all open positions.
- Submit your application, resume, and references via email to Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians Government is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please note the following Pre-Employment Requirements:
- Background Check Clearance.
- Pre-employment Drug Testing
The pre-employment requirements must be completed before hire date.
Thank you for your interest in employment at Paskenta!
Employment with Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians is voluntarily entered. All PBNI personnel are employed on an at-will basis. At-will employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice at any time by the employee or by PBNI. No manager, supervisor, or employee of the organization has any authority to enter into an agreement for employment for any specified period or to make an agreement for employment other than at-will terms. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians and employee and is subject to change by the Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians.Minimum Education and Experience